Well Hello there!!
It’s seems like its been forever. It’s good to have you back and I’m so excited to share my latest adventure with you.
I did it!
I took the big leap into the Stitch Fix fashion world to see what it was all about.
You’ve heard about it right? The mail order clothing company that hand picks perfectly put together outfits according to your style goals and challenges.
I will tell you right away that my expectations were super low. I mean, I wanted to give it a shot and all, but I wasn’t expecting anything in my perfectly wrapped, minty green tissue paper filled box to fit. That’s the thing for me- the fit.
But, before I get to that, let me tell you why I decided to take the plunge.
It started with my friend Kate. She got her first box last Fall as a treat for her upcoming birthday. I couldn’t wait to see what she received and hear about how the whole thing worked. Before her 3 day deadline to return unwanted items, we met in Portsmouth. She handed me the personal note her “stylist” had sent that gave outfit suggestions for the 5 items she received. We started pulling things out of the box, one by one. We sat in her car ooohing and ahhhing over each adorable item. From her first shipment she kept one thing- a deep coral spaghetti strap top that I loooved! It had my name written all over it and truly wasn’t a color that Kate would naturally go for if she was out clothes shopping. She kept it,loves it, and wears it all the time. For her, it was the reason for trying Stitch Fix- to move outside of her comfort zone.
Fast forward a few months later and I catch up with my girlfriend Laurie in Auburn. She has on a royal blue top with a really cool print. Of course I ask -“Where did you find that gorgeous top? And those jeans look amazing on you!” “Stitch Fix”, she says. “I love it! And they’re so good at sending things that fit perfectly that it’s really hard for me to send anything back!”
So, there’s no contract? I can cancel anytime? Ok, twist my arm- I’m in!
Here’s How it Works:
- Start out by downloading the Stitch Fix App. or go to their website
- You’ll need to fill out their personal style quiz that asks general questions concerning your height & weight etc. Be really clear about what you like or dislike in the stylist notes. For example- I wrote that I like fitted clothing, but stay away from jersey knit tops that hug my midsection and back. I rarely wear shorts. I like dresses and skirts that are maxi or skim the knee. I don’t look good in mustard yellow, olive green or burgundy. I love wearing crisp whites, navy and bright pink.
- There’s also a section that asks how much you are willing to spend on tops, bottoms etc. You can go onto the app anytime and make changes to your preferences.
- You’ll get an email confirming your order and an arrival date for your shipment with a tracking #. They suggest that you start pinning outfits and styles on Pinterest that appeal to you, so they’ll have a better idea of what you like.
- Your box arrives with a personal stylist note -a well designed sheet showing your 5 items and 5 outfit suggestions. An invoice including the price and size of each item and instructions on how to return the pieces you don’t want to keep with a self addressed envelope.
- If you keep all 5 items you’ll receive a 25% discount.
My Stitch Fix Reveal:
Sorry for the lame-o mirror selfies-I promise to find a better set up for my next box and do something with that hair.
What I kept and Why:
My rules going into this were that I would try everything on and keep only the items that I absolutely loved and would wear a lot.
In the end I kept the blue scalloped hem top and printed maxi skirt. The skirt is the perfect length for me and I can wear it with lots of tops and sweaters I already own.
The other pieces were nice. The colors and prints were spot on. Although I didn’t care for the elastic waistbands much and the quality wasn’t great.
I loved the excitement of the whole experience.
And, I’ve already tweaked my profile for the next box- so let’s see what comes next month!
Have you tried Stitch Fix or are curious about it?
Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts.